David Ehrlich: A lover of people


David Ehrlich: A lover of people

(Published as part of a collection of recollections of David by Edgar Keret, Nathan Englander and others by Dina Kraft in The Forward.)

At base, David was a people person.  I think he'd appreciate that phrase; more than a businessman, a writer, a community leader, he cared about humanity - and was interested, even perhaps fascinated, by individual people.  His writings reflect that; his love of the love affairs associated with Tmol Shilshom reflected that; and I think that's what connected us - as 'connectors' of a sort - more than the events we held together.
David so enjoyed my winter birthday gatherings at Tmol that some years he'd call me up after Succot to ask me "Nu, when are we scheduling your birthday?"  (For over 15 years I've sat for a whole day at Tmol Shilshom and spent quality time with friends and family, sort of "holding court" as David once described it.  He was tickled by the concept, and every year made a point to come sit for a while and catch up.)
And as a writer and supporter of writers - especially Jerusalem writers - David insisted that I come sit at Tmol to work on my book, not to mention plying me with occasional coffees and cakes on the house.  It was natural that we held the Jerusalem book launch of My Israel Trail at Tmol Shilshom, and that he introduced the evening.  And it was also natural that my (now) wife Miriam and I had our first date there; David told me he was going to add our love story to the little book of couples whose relationships started at Tmol Shilshom.  He was moved every time he learned of another Tmol love story. 
David - and his books - will always hold a special place in my heart, and in all our hearts.  And next birthday, we'll take a moment to acknowledge our gratitude to, and love for, this warm, gentle, creative, loving soul.

Aryeh Green, author of My Israel Trail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"In Democracy He Trusts" - Article from the "J" - San Francisco

Palestinian Democracy: It's Possible

Emotional Social Media Stampedes and Israel’s Judicial Reform Debate - ToI OpEd May 4 '23